Thursday, January 15, 2009

The World From Ben's View

For Christmas Benjamin got this really cool kids digital camera all his own from Mimi and Daddy Jim. I knew he would love it since after I took a picture, he would always want to look at it. It was a big hit and he has captured many interesting and some not-so-flattering pictures with his new-found hobby. Most of them are from Christmas morning in San Saba.


This is the world how I see it:















As I was looking at the images he took, I realized they were not particularly the ones I would have chosen to capture. But these were of those he loved and found interesting. The pictures aren't all flattering, at the best angle, light or situation.

This is how Ben sees me...in every situation, light and angle. Some of them aren't pretty or flattering and some are just down right scary! It made me suddenly very aware that what I (we) do is a physical picture of what he wants to be. We are the actors in the play of life for him to sit back and watch. He and John are our understudies. We are his pattern for how life should function and how we should relate and react to the world. Will the example I show in my home and outside world match up? Does the example I show line up with the one Christ showed us? Does it reflect the fruits of the Spirit? I don't think Fisher Price was really going for this deep of an analogy when they created a camera that could withstand the toilet and a 3 year old! But they did show me a truth that I needed to see and be reminded of. I think I will print a few of these and put them up where I will see them often and be reminded of just how important my example is. It may sometimes be fuzzy, or off centered, but hopefully he can see behind all the faults to a heart that strives to show Christ.

We got a few of Ben as well...



2 comments:

Christi said...

That's why I love digital cameras for kids. They can take as many pictures as they want and you don't have to print a single one.

Wow, this post has really made me think. My hope is that my kids will be better than me.

Karah said...

awww. You are such a good writer. You should start writing a book. Your posts always make me think. I cannot wait until next weekend. I am getting all my stuff ready!!