Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Gan Gan's Japonica

Just days after Johnston's arrival, my sweet mother and I went for a drive. I was just happy to be out of the house, but Mom spyed more - the first signs of spring. Along our road she pointed out a beautiful melon Japonica bush just beginning to bloom. She reminded me they were one of Gan Gan's favorite flowers and explained that they were some of the first to bloom, signaling the oncoming of spring. I thought it quite appropriate, since we had just celebrated John's birth, and now we could celebrate my favorite season as well. To all of us girls (the five granddaughters,) the bright melon hue brought back fond memories of our dear grandmother, so affectionately called Gan Gan. She would have notice the gorgeous blooms right away as well. She was always one to appreciate something beautiful; a lover of nature, especially birds and flowers. I will never see a hill country road lined with wild flowers without thinking of her. A few days after Mom had to leave, I stopped and took a picture of the Japonica we had admired. It represented many things to me, John's birth, the special time Mom was here to lend a helping hand, and of course, Gan Gan. When I stopped to take the picture, I briefly thought of going to the door and introducing myself, but not wanting to disturb her, I took a quick picture and left. Later, I printed a picture of the Japonica to drop by her house. I knew she was going to a nursing home soon and I had hoped it would bring her fond memories of her home. Each time I passed by her house I thought to myself, oh, next time I will bring it to her. Just last week I heard the news she had passed away. It struck me as sad, but also as such a lesson. The circle of life will continue no matter what we intend or even prefer. I also need to take each and every opportunity I am handed. That little voice of suggestion, may turn out to be something not so little after all. Each day, as I drive past her house, I see her relatives at her house and think of the picture, and again I doubt myself and think, oh, maybe they won't care at all and think me strange, or maybe it could be a sweet keepsake and memory for their dear one as well. Maybe I will stop by; I really should take the opportunity. As I write this blog, I have my two little opportunities vying for my attention, I had better not drop the ball on this one.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

The Schmidt Family said...

I am SO happy you're in the blogging world! I love getting to see picks of the kiddos and know what is up with you! Yipee!