Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Grandaddy of all Estate Sales

I write this blog exhausted, but feeling a great sense of accomplishment. David and I (and our amazing team!) just finished as I call it, the "grandaddy of all estate sales." This ain't yo mama's garage sale folks! There was a lot of merchandise, I mean, a lot, so we feel really great about having completed it and with great success I might add. How do you define a successful sale you may ask.
If you :
1) have a happy family (or client)
2) made money
3) got rid of everything
4) survived!
It was an especially great sale for me personally because I got the joy of fully participating in it. I got to unpack drawers, clean out kitchen cabinets and dig through the garage as well as price, merchandise and sell, sell, sell! For the last year and a half I haven't been able to help much since John was so little and was forced to be home and miss out on all the fun. And yes, I do think digging through other peoples stuff and then selling it is fun! We had a really great time - it could not have gone any better actually. We were really blessed. It was wonderful to be able to conduct the sale with David; we are a pretty good team and I have missed doing our antiques together since we had the boys. So much of who we are together is centered around our business - it was fun to rekindle that through this sale.
We had the pleasure of conducting the sale for an amazing local family. It was really an honor to see those who walked around the home teary-eyed for the former family and hear the amazing stories of who they were and what they meant to our community and all those around them. Many bought a memento to remember them by. We truly try to honor them, and their families. It has to be a very difficult thing to allow someone else into your loved ones home and trust them with their worldly possessions. It is a great responsibility that we truly feel humbled to be entrusted with.
There were so many funny things that happened during the sale and lots and lots of drama. We had someone walk head on into a glass wall, a woman who tried to return a $3 doile when she realized it had a hole in it; and someone who tried to hide an item so it would still be there for half price day! Oh, yeah, and someone who returned a piano, but I won't even go into that! It is always so fun to see who buys what and think about why they are buying it and wonder what in the world they will do with it! I love to watch people and this is an excellent place to do it.
Many, many thanks to our AWESOME team: Glenda, David, Steve, Will, Mur, Kathy, Dawn, Ed, Arnold, Steven, Cameron, Julie and most of all to my Mom!!! We worked poor Mom since Monday! It is good to have the sale behind us; we have been preparing for it for over a month and it is a good feeling to have it completed - and some great memories made too! Now on to the next one!!!

Me, Mom and our right-hand woman, Glenda doing last-minute preparations before we opened the doors.

Will, David and Steve - I love this picture!

This was the line of customers waiting for us to open up the doors - so exciting!

Below are a few of the pictures of the house and sale.




4 comments:

Christi said...

Wow, 2 posts in two weeks! You must be feeling chatty!

Just kidding!

Looks like it was a great sale - I love how your shirts seems to match the decor. I am glad that you are able to be doing something you love. I kind of know what you mean, it is interesting to see bits and pieces of someones life like that. After my great aunt passed, we went through her things and saw parts of her that I didn't know that much about - not that she had a hidden life.

srkruk said...

You guys did a *great* job on the estate sale!! And I can totally see why you are exhausted...I can't even imagine all of the work that went it preparing for the sale. Kudos to y'all!

Our Family said...

Next year I will be there!! I think it is in the Hicks genes to dig through people's things (well excluding Mark)!! Why didn't y'all tell me about the pink couch??? It would have worked perfectly!!! : )

Nancy Hicks said...

I love the pictures of the sale. I am so glad thing went so well for ya'll. I miss seeing the boys!! Love ya'll